Couple of weeks back I published What are SQL Server DBA Responsibilities? After that blog, while I was writing notes for the section Learn SQL Server, I thought, why not post a blog that lists out the responsibilities of a SQL Server Developer too.This would also complete the topic of what responsibilities of these 2 positions (DBA and Developer) under my new section Learn SQL Server.
- Create Entity Relationship (ER) Diagrams to the proposed database
- Create database objects such as tables, views, stored procedures, Triggers etc.
- Maintain referential integrity, domain integrity and column integrity by using the available options such as constraints etc.
- Identify columns for Primary Keys in all the tables at the design time and create them.
- Create functions to provide custom functionality as per the requirements.
- Be aware of potential blocking, deadlocking and write code to avoid those situations.
- Endure that the code is written keeping in mind any security issues such as SQL Injection.
- Develop reports in SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Design, Develop and Deploy SSIS Packages.
- Identify and write best possible code in case of new deployments or when rewriting code when migrating to newer version of SQL Server.
- participate in discussions involving the application creation and understand the requirements and provide the back-end functionality for the applications.
- Participate in development and creation of Data warehouses.
- Create cubes in SQL Server Analysis Services.
Since I primarily work as a SQL Server Database Admin, I might not be able to give an exhaustive list covering all responsibilities of a SQL Server Developer. If you feel something is missing, please feel free to post a comment.
Do you like this site? Like our FB page @ Facebook.com\LearnSQLWithBru so that, you know when there is a new blog post.
— Bru Medishetty